Sunday, October 20, 2013

Free Fall Fun!

       Fall is my favorite season!  Largely due to a blessed hiatus from the summer-long mosquito war, which means I can once again enjoy being outdoors for extended lengths of time.  This fall has been especially enjoyable because of my daughter's age.  Two-and-a-half is such a fun time to interact with a little person!  I highly recommend finding one to borrow if you don't have your own.  (And allow me to stress - borrowing with permission, of course.) 
 
Fall Leaf Art
       On top of giggly trips to apple orchards or grabbing doughnuts at the farmer's market, we've done a couple of fun fall art projects.  This first one has been my favorite so far!  Tearing up fall leaves and gluing them onto paper.  I'm sure you've seen this on Pinterest, which is where I got the idea last year, but it's brilliant!  Here are the results from our first go...    
 

        This activity is great for several reasons:
  1. Collecting leaves involves a fun, leisurely nature walk with your little one.
  2.  
  3. It's amazing how many kinds of leaves are in your yard or local park.
  4.  
  5. It's a good opportunity to practice using glue and use different materials in art.
  6.  
  7. The pictures turn out ADORABLE!
  8.  
  9. Because you likely have paper and glue at home, this is a free activity you can repeat again and again.
Claire and I have done this art project a couple of times and we both enjoy it.  We collect a stack of leaves and keep the torn pieces in a bowl, so we can use them over the next couple of days.
 

 
Painted Pumpkins 
        Another fall art activity we've done a couple of times is painting pumpkins.  This one is fun to do on playdates, too!  We painted these two after a princess tea party we had with a friend one afternoon.   
 
      
       I consider this activity free because I brought home about a dozen tiny pumpkins from my father-in-law's house for Claire and her friends to use this fall.  However, you can get these kinds of pumpkins for cheap at pumpkin patches or the grocery store. 

Hope your fall is turning out to be as blissful as ours is!  Enjoy the beautiful mosquito-free weather. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment